AMHERST, N.S. – Ottawa says it will study ways to protect the 275-year-old dikes that connect Nova Scotia to the rest of Canada from being washed away by rising sea levels, storm surges and other effects of climate change.The $350,000 study will look at how rising water levels could affect key infrastructure in the Chignecto Isthmus trade corridor, including the Trans-Canada Highway, the Canadian National rail line and electricity transmission lines, Nova Scotia MP Bill Casey said in a statement Monday.The study will involve an engineering assessment of existing infrastructure, consultation and options to protect the corridor, which carries an estimated $50 million worth of trade a day between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.“Trade between our two provinces is the lifeline that keeps our economies growing and our goods moving and this is why we must do all we can to protect the Chignecto Isthmus trade corridor from climate change,” Casey, the MP for Cumberland-Colchester, said in a release.The initiative comes amid increasing calls for something to be done to maintain the land link between New Brunswick and Nova Scotia by raising and reinforcing dikes at the narrow isthmus that joins the provinces and allow goods to travel to and from the busy port of Halifax.The dikes in the Tantramar Marshes were built by Acadian settlers for agricultural purposes in the 1700s. The Chignecto Isthmus was cut off for several days in an 1869 storm, according to a 2008 study by Memorial University geologist Norm Catto.The study said the odds of a recurrence would increase as sea levels rise.Last month, the NDP in Nova Scotia said it would introduce a private member’s bill requiring the province’s agriculture minister to take steps to maintain the low-lying area where the Trans-Canada Highway goes over the Tantramar Marshes. The party said the governing Liberals should spend at least $10 million per year on maintaining the dikes in each of the next five years.Last fall, the mayor of Amherst also raised concerns about the condition of the historic Acadian dikes and their ability to hold back rising sea levels occurring due to climate change.Mayor David Kogon has said sea levels are projected to rise in the Bay of Fundy over the next two decades to the point where the Chignecto Isthmus will flood even when there is no storm surge, leaving Nova Scotia cut off.The area where flooding could occur includes 20 kilometres of the Trans-Canada Highway, 20 kilometres of CN Rail, 35 kilometres of electricity lines and 35 kilometres of dikes. The isthmus itself is a narrow, low-lying strip of land that is about 20 kilometres at its narrowest point.At the time, he said he wanted all three levels of government to work together, adding the first step would be an engineering study to determine the scope of the required repairs.The Nova Scotia government has said it is developing new design standards that incorporate sea level rise and storm surge into dike maintenance and construction.The province has also said that in the Amherst area specifically, it has allocated $10 million be spent to replace the Laplanche aboiteau for local farmland.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — The United Way of Northern B.C. is hitting the road this month in an RV on its 2018 United Tour of Northern B.C., which is due to wrap up in the Peace Region next month.The United Way says it will be traveling to 20 communities in Northern BC to cultivate compassion, engage residents to overcome social issues and foster a culture of philanthropic giving in our region. The tour will be traveling to host events to raise funds that will stay locally in each community.The tour kicked off on Monday when the RV travelled to Fraser Lake. The tour will be heading to the North Coast before returning to the Central Interior. On June 1st, the tour will be stopping in Mackenzie ahead of stops in Tumbler Ridge, Dawson Creek, Chetwynd, Hudson’s Hope, and Fort St. John on June 12th. The full tour dates are listed below. April 30, 2018 Fraser LakeMay 1, 2018 HoustonMay 2, 2018 HazeltonMay 3, 2018 KitimatMay 4, 2018 Prince RupertMay 5, 2018 TerraceMay 7, 2018 SmithersMay 8, 2018 Burns LakeMay 9, 2018 VanderhoofMay 10, 2018 Fort St. JamesMay 22, 2018 QuesnelMay 24, 2018 ValemountMay 25, 2018 McBrideJune 1, 2018 MackenzieJune 5, 2018 Tumbler RidgeJune 6, 2018 Dawson CreekJune 7, 2018 ChetwyndJune 8, 2018 Hudson HopeJune 12, 2018 Fort St JohnJune 13-14 2018 TaylorThe tour will wrap up in Taylor on June 13th and 14th, in conjunction with the 8th Annual United Way Golf Tournament at Lone Wolf Golf Club. For more information about the United Tour of Northern B.C., follow the United Way’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/unitedwaynorthernbc/
The letter proposes a solution in which gas producers commit to manage their production on a voluntary basis when needed to balance supply with system capacity, resulting in no net loss to provincial royalty revenues while honouring existing sales commitments.The letter is signed by CEOs of companies producing about two billion cubic feet per day of natural gas, including Jupiter Resources Ltd., Bellatrix Exploration Ltd., Peyto Exploration & Development Corp., Advantage Oil & Gas Ltd., Paramount Resources Ltd. and Bonavista Energy Corp.The new United Conservative Party government created the position of associate minister of natural gas when elected and, in early July, announced a one-time tax relief program for shallow gas wells and pipelines that is expected to deliver about $23 million in support for producers.“It is imperative that the government of Alberta intercedes as the viability of the Alberta natural gas sector is in jeopardy and, on our current trajectory, the consequences will be dire for the many Albertans that rely upon the natural gas sector directly and indirectly to support their communities,” the letter sent late Tuesday reads.The Canadian Press CALGARY — The CEOs of nine Alberta natural gas producers have released an open letter to Premier Jason Kenney asking him to show “bold leadership” in supporting a plan to restrict production to boost low gas prices.The letter warns that the viability of the natural gas sector is in jeopardy and the province faces a high likelihood of corporate failures, job losses and falling investment levels if the situation is allowed to continue.The CEOs say their gas price problems have developed over many years but point specifically to what they call failed federal regulation of TC Energy Corp.’s Nova Gas Transmission Ltd. gas pipeline system in Western Canada.
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Collegium Monday cleared the names of 16 lawyers for appointment as judges of Kerala, Karnataka and Bombay High Courts. The apex court collegium comprising Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justices S A Bobde and N V Ramana recommended the names of the advocates to the central government after assessing their merit and suitability. For the Kerala High Court, the Collegium has forwarded the names of Conrad Stansilaus Dias, Mohammed Nias C P and Paul K K. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’For Karnataka High Court, the names of Savanur Vishwajith Shetty, Singapuram Raghavachar Krishna Kumar, Maralur Indrakumar Arun, Mohammed Ghouse Shukure Kamal, Ashok Subhashchandra Kinagi, Govindaraj Suraj, Engalaguppe Seetharamaiah Indiresh and Sachin Shankar Magadum were cleared by the apex court. Advocates Avinash G Gharote, N B Suryawanshi, Madhav Jamdar, Anil Kilor and Milind Narendra Jadhav were given the nod to be appointed as judges of the Bombay High Court. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KIn order to ascertain the suitability of the recommendees, the three-member Collegium have consulted the apex court judges conversant with the affairs of the High Court concerned before recommending their names for the appointment. The Collegium, to which ten names of lawyers were sent for elevation as Bombay HC judges, cleared only five, sent back four names and deferred one to await further details. With regard to elevation of lawyers as judges in the Karnataka High Court, the Collegium accepted recommendations of eight lawyers and remitted one name to the high court collegium for reconsideration.
Unai Emery is refusing to get nostalgic ahead of facing old club Paris Saint-Germain and insists that the game will have an important impact on Arsenal’s preseason preparationsThe Spaniard will lead the Gunners out to the Singapore National Stadium against his former club on Saturday in their second game of the International Champions Cup, despite the fact that it has only been two months since he had left the French side.Emery spent two years in charge of PSG and won a total of seven trophies in his time at the French capital, which included a domestic treble last season.However, while he will always fondly remember his time at Paris, the Arsenal boss will not be letting any affection he still has for his old team get in way of his preseason plans for his new side.“I am very grateful to PSG. It was a good experience, a good moment in my career. Now we are going to play tomorrow against a big, big club with big players. They won’t have every player on the pitch tomorrow because they are on holiday, but for me it’s important for our preparation. It will also be nice for me to meet my friends who I worked with at Paris Saint-Germain,” said Emery on the club website.Merson believes Arsenal should sign Sancho Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho might be the perfect player to play for the Gunners, according to former England international Paul Merson.“For us, it’s about continuing our preparations. It’s another match but we don’t want to change our focus. Our focus is to get every player up to speed and work on tactical things to get better for when we start [Premier League] competition.”PSG replaced Emery this summer with former Borussia Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel.“Every coach has the chance to meet in Nyon every year when we have the coaches meeting and we can also speak tomorrow if we are together. Usually you don’t speak specifically about football in this moment, more football in general,” Emery said on his replacement.Arsenal lost their first game of the ICC competition in a 3-1 penalty shoot-out loss to Atletico Madrid on Thursday.
Northern Ireland striker Gavin Whyte has been praised by his coach Michael O’Neill after scoring on his international debut in their 3-0 win against Israel.Whyte came on for Grigg Will in the 65th minute and scored Northern Ireland‘s third goal two minutes later in a comfortable 3-0 win over Israel in a friendly on Tuesday night.After the match, Michael O’Neill was full of praise for the 22-year-old.“I’m delighted for him, it’s a great start for him,” he said. “He has come into this squad on this trip and made an impact in training certainly, so it was good to give him an opportunity to go on the pitch. And it could not have gone any better for him.” O’Neill told Sky Sports.Report: Euro 2020 qualifying Group G George Patchias – September 9, 2019 Euro 2020 qualifying Group G, saw Robert Lewandowski draw another blank.What should have been a plane sailing group for Poland, has turned out to…“I have watched Gavin for a number of years now in the Irish and the domestic league and you always saw a player with real talent, I kind of wished he could get the opportunity to move across to full-time football.“We took him on the summer tour to give him a little bit of exposure really and he eventually gets that opportunity. He is just stronger and quicker and his talent was never in question.“Gavin has always had an eye for goal and in a wide player, that’s a great ability to have. He was consistently a double-figure goalscorer when he was here, he’s already got three goals in six for Oxford.“And now he’s opened his international career with a goal, so that’s a big plus for us.”
Lazio Coach Simone Inzaghi feels they were worthy winners over Marseille despite a turbulent entrance to the Velodrome.Lazio beat Marseille 3-1 at the Stade Velodrome, but their bus was pelted with rocks and bottles as they approached the stadium.“We played a great game against a strong opponent,” Inzaghi said in his post-match Press conference via Football Italia.“Lazio were superior, we deserved to win. We deserved another goal in the second half, but this evening will be a great memory for all of us.“Marseille’s weak points? I think sometimes you just have to recognise the merits of the opponents, it’s happened to me many times. I think tonight Lazio were just better than Marseille.Marseille needing to replace Florian Thauvin Taimoor Khan – September 12, 2019 Florian Thauvin is out of action due to an ankle injury which means that Olympique de Marseille have to quickly seek a solution. It’s…“We didn’t give them anything, the goal we conceded was on a set piece. We did really well in helping each other out, and the players who came on did really well.“The entrance wasn’t pleasant, stones and bottles fell on the bus. There was a bit of discomfort on the approach to the stadium but the players responded well.“I think we’ve seen a growth in the team in the last 10 games, we’ve won eight and lost two.“Inter? We need to grow to win against teams that have obviously been constructed in another way. With work and ideas, I think we can win against top teams like that.”
Paris Saint-Germain manager Thomas Tuchel has revealed his thoughts about the team’s 1-0 win over Nantes on Saturday.French forward Kylian Mbappe scored just after the hour mark to hand the champions their 15th league win of the season.“We lacked precision, which is unusual for us. In spite of everything, it was a good match, we controlled it.” Tuchel said according to the club’s official website.“It was tight, but we had a lot of chances, and showed a lot of patience and confidence. I’m very happy. This first half of the season has been extraordinary. We won our opening games and continued winning.”Thiago Silva also spoke about the win, saying:How Dagba become one of PSG’s regulars Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 21-year-old full-back Colin Dagba had a very difficult time to break into professional football, but now he’s one of PSG’s regular players.“I think it was a good match despite everything. We created a lot of chances that we didn’t manage to put away. If we had scored earlier, the game would surely have been different. Nantes sat deep and played on the counter-attack.”“Defensively, we were solid. We have worked very well in this first half of the season. Everyone should be congratulated for the work they have done so far. We have to keep going like that as that will enable us to go far.”The match winner, Mbappe also has this to say:“It was the last game of a long year with a lot of matches. We were tired, but we wanted to pick up one last win to go off on holiday with a sense of mission accomplished, round off a great year and a great first half to the season. We’re now going to rest and recharge our batteries. My goal? It’s not the most beautiful, but it’s important because it gave us the win.”
Follow the evacuation order issued by authorities and evacuate immediately. Take your animals with you.Move to high ground or inland and away from water immediately.Stay away from the beach. Never go down to the beach to watch a tsunami come in. If you can see the wave you are too close to escape it. CAUTION – If there is noticeable recession in water away from the shoreline this is nature’s tsunami warning and it should be heeded. You should move away immediately.Save yourself – not your possessions. Dan Nelson, with the Kenai Peninsula Borough Office of Emergency Management: “The communities of Homer and Seward participate in tsunami ready programs, so there are evacuation routes assigned for people to get to higher ground. For instance, in Homer one of the assembly points is often Homer High School, which is above the bluff and has significant elevation for a safe place for people to go. Similarly in Seward, at the Seward High School is the same above the old town site. When that warning goes out people in those low lying areas need to head for higher ground. In our areas here that would include places like Homer Spit, and small boat harbors those types of areas that are very near the water.” In the event of a tsunami alert a phone message will read: “Emergency Alert. Tsunami danger on the coast. Go to high ground or move inland.” According to Nelson, one of the big things that folks need to understand about tsunami warnings is that all areas North of Anchor Point in the Central Peninsula typically do have tsunami potential. Appropriate actions to be taken by local officials may include the evacuation of low-lying coastal areas, and warnings may be updated, adjusted geographically, downgraded, or canceled. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享This week was Tsunami Preparedness Week, and while some Alaskans are accustomed to tsunami threats and to regular drills, an early morning alert going off on your cell phone can still create some fretful moments. But, not all of the residents in the Kenai Peninsula are accustomed to regular drills and tsunami threats. Here are some things to know; a tsunami watch means a tsunami is possible and you should be prepared; a tsunami warning is issued when a tsunami is imminent and you should move to high ground immediately. Warnings alert the public that dangerous coastal flooding accompanied by powerful currents is possible and may continue for several hours after initial arrival. Warnings alert emergency management officials to take action for the entire tsunami hazard zone. Nelson: “Kenai Peninsula tsunami risks are our coastal communities. On the Eastern side of the Peninsula it’s Seward, and Resurrection Bay. On the South side it’s Homer and Kachemak Bay communities.”