ABIC Gets U.S. IOM Membership

first_imgThe Angie Brooks International Centre (ABIC), a nongovernmental organization focused on protecting the rights of women and youth empowerment has been recognised as a member to serve on the Multi-National Commission of the United States Institute of Medicine (IOM).The IOM is the health arm of the prestigious U.S. National Academy of Sciences.The commission, which includes 18 experts as commissioners, were drawn from diverse disciplines around the world.The commissioners will collect evidence, deliberate, and deliver a comprehensive report in time for the January 2016 World Health Assembly Executive Board meeting.Cllr. Yvette Chesson-Wureh, ABIC Women’s Empowerment, Leadership Development, International Peace and Security Establishment Coordinator, made the disclosure recently when she returned from the U.S.She said Liberia stands to benefit a lot from the IOM, “because as an establishing coordinator of ABIC Women’s Empowerment…I will ensure through the members’ collective and tireless efforts that the voices of Liberians are heard in order to prepare the country for any other health epidemic. What I want from my people is to work along with me and be prepared to prevent any future disease outbreak,” she said,The New York Times has described the IOM as the most esteemed and authoritative advertiser on issues of health and medicine, which tend to transform medical thinking around the world.The ABIC has been actively involved in many initiatives for the eradication of Ebola virus disease (EVD) including the provision of legal advice, participating in policy determination; community engagement and mediation; support to Liberian doctors, as well as anti-Ebola awareness campaigns, etc.The organization was actively involved in the installation of hygiene stations and distribution of food and non-food items in Montserrado and other hot-zone counties.ABIC and partners have successfully and tirelessly worked with both rural and urban Liberians, including market women and motorcyclists, to raise and sustain awareness on the EVD and promote practices to prevent and stop the virus.The IOM is embarking on this mission to manage a multi-national commission to recommend a new global architecture for mitigating the threat of epidemic infectious diseases. This task is being undertaken as a result of two planning meetings that included among others, the president of the World Bank, the president of the Rockefeller Foundation, and the director-general of the World Health Organization (WHO). The initiative will build on the lessons learned from the current Ebola outbreak and other significant outbreaks to develop a comprehensive framework to improve responses to future global public health threats. The program will include four work streams that will be coordinated and ultimately integrated through governance for global health, financing for global health preparedness and response.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

DP reiterates Sh50m Stars’ AFCON reward

first_img0Shares0000Harambee Stars skipper Victor Wanyama hands over a jersey and signed ball to Deputy President William Ruto when he paid the team a courtesy call at the Kasarani Stadium on Friday October 12, 2018. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaNAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 12 – Deputy President William Ruto on Friday reiterated the government’s promise of rewarding national football team Harambee Stars with Sh50mn should they qualify for next year’s  African Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Cameroon.The Deputy President made the promise to the team last year after winning the CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup and on Friday when he visited the team at their training session at the Kasarani Stadium reiterated that the promise still stands. “You all remember the promise we made last year?” Ruto quizzed the team at the Kasarani Stadium. “The promise still remains and we will make sure that happens,” he added.“So please work hard and achieve the goal and leave the rest to us. So my friend (speaking to skipper Victor Wanyama) even if it means leaving your leg here, please do,” Ruto joked.He also announced that the promise to give the team its own bus still remains and made a further promise that the same will be availed next month.“You have our prayers, support and good will. Please make us proud on Sunday,” he added.Deputy President William Ruto greets Harambee Stars players during a training session at the Moi International Sports Centre Kasarani on October 12, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu“We thank you (DP Ruto) for coming in here today and I know you have been told of the small problems we had. We are sure that you will help sort them out and for us on the pitch, we will do our job,” skipper Wanyama said.His sentiments were shared by head coach Sebastien Migne who has also been promised that his outstanding salary arrears will be cleared having given the Federation an ultimatum up to Monday to ensure that his dues are taken care of.“I hope, it will be paid, but for me, the most important thing is the game on Sunday. That is why I came here and I believe we can do something special and write a new page of history for Kenyan football,” the tactician said.He added; “I have told him (DP Ruto) that for us to go far, we have to get the support from him and the government. We are on the way to the high level and we cannot do it without them.”The DP also ‘gifted’ the team with Sh1mn for motivation ahead of Sunday’s game.Deputy President William Ruto listens to Football Kenya Federation boss Nick Mwendwa as Sports PS Kirimi Kaberia and Sports Kenya Chairman Fred Muteti listen in at the Moi International Sports Centre Kasarani on October 12, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluMeanwhile, Ruto also said that the remainder of the Sh25mn budget presented by the Football Kenya Federation (FKF) for the double header against Ethiopia as well as arrears from the previous game against Ghana, has already been availed.Meanwhile, the country’s second in command has said moving forward, the Sports Fund will be fully operational to ensure that sports federations are well catered for and do not always have to sprawl their begging balls asking for help.“For a very long time we haven’t had a clear funding mechanism for sports but I want to tell you the good news; the government has committed a special fund to ensure all sportsmen and women have requisite infrastructure and financial support,” he said.The DP added; “In the next month or so the new fund will kick in and we expect to raise resources every year directly going to sports and you will be beneficiaries of that endeavor.”Stars were faced with a financial hiccup before travelling to Ethiopia and had to wait until the eve of their journey to get Sh7.2mn from the government. Previously from a submitted budget of Sh25mn, the Federation had only managed to get Sh4mn.Deputy President William Ruto chats with Harambee Stars head coach Sebastien Migne at the Moi International Sports Centre Kasarani on October 12, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluThe deficit of about Sh14mn has been sent to the federation to ensure the debts accrued from the Ghana match have been settled and facilitation for this weekend’s tie against Ethiopia is also taken care of. 0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more