GATINEAU, QUE. (NEWS 1130) – One of the areas hardest-hit by spring flooding is the Gatineau region in Quebec and that’s where the prime minister and that province’s premier got a first-hand look at the damage today.The Prime Minister and Quebec Premier taking a helicopter tour to examine the flooding and the damage it has caused #cdnpoli pic.twitter.com/4H5AptpEto— Cormac Mac Sweeney (@cmaconthehill) May 11, 2017Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Premier Philippe Couillard boarded a helicopter this morning to get a closer look at the effects of the powerful flood waters.Quebec’s General Financial Assistance Program regarding Actual or Imminent Disasters only covers the essentials such as $150 for dishes, $450 for one TV, $775 for bedroom furniture, $600 for a washer and $450 for a dryer. However, it doesn’t cover lost income, jewelry, sports equipment or even an air conditioner.Therese got emotional speaking about problems with receiving compensation #cdnpoli pic.twitter.com/enHVQ1oti9— Cormac Mac Sweeney (@cmaconthehill) May 11, 2017 There is some extra relief for flood victims coming from the City of Gatineau. Affected residents can postpone their second tax payment, due by June 30th, to 2018, interest free.Questions still remain as to why the military wasn’t called in sooner, before water levels were knee to waist high, some houses were surrounded and several hundred had already evacuated their homes.Meantime, even as water levels continue to decline in some parts of Quebec, federal Environment Minister David Huertel is warning that the situation could deteriorate in other areas this weekend because of heavy rain. He says water levels are expected to remain stable in flooded areas in the Montreal area despite a forecast of weekend rain.A state of emergency will remain in effect in Montreal until Sunday, where 243 people have been evacuated and about 400 homes flooded.Prime Minister urges people to think about donating to Red Cross. Quebec Premier says he’s looking at ways to change compensation #cdnpoli pic.twitter.com/EW2sjjWZ6A— Cormac Mac Sweeney (@cmaconthehill) May 11, 2017Quebec Public Security Minister Martin Coiteux says 3,882 residences in the province have now been affected by the floods and that more than 2,700 people have had to leave their homes.Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says the military is deploying several hundred more soldiers to help with flood relief efforts in Quebec, bringing the total to 2,200.Rogers, the parent of this station, has a text-to-donate campaign to help those affected by flooding. Text FLOODS to 30333 to donate $10 to the Canadian Red Cross flood relief efforts in BC, Ontario and Quebec.