Ivorian media fuel anti-French hostility

first_img RSF’s recommendations for protecting press freedom during Côte d’Ivoire’s elections December 4, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Ivorian media fuel anti-French hostility October 29, 2020 Find out more Threats against journalists in run-up to Côte d’Ivoire’s presidential election Follow the news on Côte d’Ivoire Reports November 27, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa Côte d’IvoireAfrica Newscenter_img RSF_en October 16, 2020 Find out more News Receive email alerts Reporters Without Borders deplores the fact that a climate of hostility towards the French news media is being encouraged by Côte d’Ivoire’s state-owned radio and TV stations and certain privately-owned newspapers in Abidjan that support President Laurent Gbagbo, such as Le Temps and Notre Voie.“Our priority is respect for the safety of journalists,” Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Jean-François Julliard said. “We are very disturbed that the national radio and TV have named foreign media and some of their staff and have blamed them for the current turmoil. This is dishonest and dangerous.“When the situation in Côte d’Ivoire is clearly very unstable and journalists are liable to be targets, it is also wrong for French elected officials to cast oil on the flames,” Julliard said, referring to a statement by two French parliamentarians sympathetic to Gbagbo.Julliard added: “The media are not responsible for the discord. They reported the provisional results announced by the Independent Electoral Commission just as many of them covered today’s ceremony installing Laurent Gbagbo for another term as president. Their job requires them to report all relevant developments.”State-owned Radio-Télévision Ivoirienne (RTI) accused the French 24-hour TV news station France 24 yesterday of wanting to “destabilize the country” by broadcasting the Independent Electoral Council’s proclamation of provisional results, according to which opposition politician Alassane Ouattara won last month’s presidential election. It showed a photo of France 24’s local correspondent and a close-up of a visiting France 24 reporter.The accusation came a day after the National Broadcasting Council (CNCA) suspended local retransmission of France 24 and other international radio and TV news stations (more information ). Le Temps wrote on 2 December that “the French media are concealing the reality” and “are showing bad faith.” The same day, Notre Voie ran the headline: “Election second round, lies and disinformation from France 24 and RFI.”Two French Socialist Party parliamentarians, Henri Emmanuelli and François Loncle, meanwhile issued a joint statement yesterday, criticizing “most of the French media” and “a certain number of politicians” of meddling in Côte d’Ivoire’s elections.“Whenever Africa is concerned, they are always champions at giving lessons,” the statement said. “They must allow the Ivorian electoral process to carry through to completion and respect the country’s rules and institutions (…) and they must stop intervening without restraint, making peremptory judgements about African countries that want to determine their own destiny.” The Constitutional Council announced yesterday that Gbagbo won the election with more than 51 per cent of the votes, invalidating the Independent Electoral Commission’s provisional results, according to which Ouattara won with 54.1 per cent of the votes. Gbagbo was sworn in for another term today. Côte d’IvoireAfrica to go further News Organisation last_img read more

Spurs re-sign Aussie guard Mills

first_imgSAN ANTONIO, TX – MAY 20: Head coach Gregg Popovich of the San Antonio Spurs talks with Patty Mills #8. AFP/GETTY IMAGES FILE PHOTOLOS ANGELES—The San Antonio Spurs have re-signed Patty Mills, a back-up guard from Australia who connected on 41 percent of his three-point shots last season.Mills appeared in 80 games for the Spurs last season, averaging 9.5 points, a career-best 3.5 assists and 1.8 rebounds in a career-high 21.9 minutes.ADVERTISEMENT His 147 for 355 from three-point range ranked him 11th in the NBA in three-point field goal percentage and he made 82 percent of his free throws.The 28-year-old Canberra native had agreed to terms with the Spurs at the start of free agency on July 1, but the team didn’t announce the signing until Friday.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’The Spurs did not release terms of the contract, but the San Antonio Express-News reported it was worth approximately $50 million over four years.Mills, entering his ninth NBA season and his seventh with the Spurs, was a key member of an outstanding San Antonio bench. LeBron James scores 31 points, Lakers beat Rockets MOST READ Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ Clippers coach Rivers stripped of executive duties McGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC return Kawhi Leonard, Clippers rally to beat Pelicans 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano Re-signing him took on added importance in light of the ruptured quadriceps tendon suffered by starting point guard Tony Parker in May.The French veteran is expected to be sidelined until at least January.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextcenter_img Indian national gunned down in Camarines Sur Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson LATEST STORIES ‘I’m out!’: PewDiePie releases last video before taking break from YouTube View commentslast_img read more