‘I’ve never been so happy with him’: Mou praises Pogba

first_imgThey were followed by claims this week that manager and player had exchanged angry words in a heated meeting after comments made by Pogba following last week’s opening league fixture against Leicester.Having starred, and scored, in United’s 2-1 victory, just four days after returning to pre-season training following his World Cup adventures, Pogba claimed: “There are things I cannot say otherwise I will get fined.”But Mourinho, preparing for Sunday’s visit to Brighton, insists that argument never took place.“The truth is we are together for two years and a couple of weeks and I’ve never been so happy with him as I am now, that’s the truth. I cannot demand more from him,” Mourinho told reporters on Friday.“He came here on a Monday, trained three days, I asked for his support for his contribution in an important match for us when the team had difficulties, he did it better and for more time than we could expect.“When he says he did it for the fans and for the team, it is exactly what I want. It is exactly what I demand from my players.“He’s working well, playing well, he does it for the fans, he does for the team and that’s what I want. To play for the team and I couldn’t be happier than what I am.”Pogba will remain captain for the Brighton game, although Mourinho explained that Antonio Valencia will reclaim the armband when he returns to action following a calf injury.And the United manager refused to comment about Pogba’s post-match outburst.– ‘No problems’ –“I don’t care,” said Mourinho. “I repeat: I want him to play well, I want him to play for that team, the fans and that is what it is.“He’s working extremely well here but I have to say in his defence, don’t put him in a situation that people can think he’s not a polite, educated guy — he is.“He never had a fight with me. We never had a heated exchange of words, everything is respected, I have no problems at all.”Mourinho also laughed off suggestions that Pogba would have faced a fine for talking his mind — pointing out that the only United player to have been fined on his watch was Anthony Martial, fined £180,000 for failing to return to their pre-season USA tour following the birth of his child.“You have to ask Paul,” said Mourinho. “I’m here for two years and a couple of months and the only player that was fined was Anthony Martial, so it’s not easy to be fined here.“So you have to ask him. I’m not going to ask him. I want him to work the way he is doing and play the way he is doing and that’s all that matters.”After a strong showing in the World Cup and United’s opening fixture, Pogba has set a standard which Mourinho claims he is confident the midfielder will maintain — although he will have no problem if not.“I am very confident but if he doesn’t that’s football,” said Mourinho. “If his objective is to play for the team, for the fans, if this is the objective, he has the right for a bad match.“Everybody has a bad day and has little ups and downs in the performance level.”Mourinho will welcome Jesse Lingard back into his squad against Brighton, after returning from World Cup duty.0Shares0000(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho is on good terms with Paul Pogba © AFP / Oli SCARFFMANCHESTER, United Kingdom, Aug 17 – Jose Mourinho has broken his silence on his relationship with French World Cup winner Paul Pogba and insists there has been no disagreement with Manchester United’s record signing.A summer of discontent has seen repeated reports that Pogba wishes to leave the club he joined from Juventus for £89.3 million two summers ago and move to Barcelona.last_img read more

DP reiterates Sh50m Stars’ AFCON reward

first_img0Shares0000Harambee Stars skipper Victor Wanyama hands over a jersey and signed ball to Deputy President William Ruto when he paid the team a courtesy call at the Kasarani Stadium on Friday October 12, 2018. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaNAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 12 – Deputy President William Ruto on Friday reiterated the government’s promise of rewarding national football team Harambee Stars with Sh50mn should they qualify for next year’s  African Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Cameroon.The Deputy President made the promise to the team last year after winning the CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup and on Friday when he visited the team at their training session at the Kasarani Stadium reiterated that the promise still stands. “You all remember the promise we made last year?” Ruto quizzed the team at the Kasarani Stadium. “The promise still remains and we will make sure that happens,” he added.“So please work hard and achieve the goal and leave the rest to us. So my friend (speaking to skipper Victor Wanyama) even if it means leaving your leg here, please do,” Ruto joked.He also announced that the promise to give the team its own bus still remains and made a further promise that the same will be availed next month.“You have our prayers, support and good will. Please make us proud on Sunday,” he added.Deputy President William Ruto greets Harambee Stars players during a training session at the Moi International Sports Centre Kasarani on October 12, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu“We thank you (DP Ruto) for coming in here today and I know you have been told of the small problems we had. We are sure that you will help sort them out and for us on the pitch, we will do our job,” skipper Wanyama said.His sentiments were shared by head coach Sebastien Migne who has also been promised that his outstanding salary arrears will be cleared having given the Federation an ultimatum up to Monday to ensure that his dues are taken care of.“I hope, it will be paid, but for me, the most important thing is the game on Sunday. That is why I came here and I believe we can do something special and write a new page of history for Kenyan football,” the tactician said.He added; “I have told him (DP Ruto) that for us to go far, we have to get the support from him and the government. We are on the way to the high level and we cannot do it without them.”The DP also ‘gifted’ the team with Sh1mn for motivation ahead of Sunday’s game.Deputy President William Ruto listens to Football Kenya Federation boss Nick Mwendwa as Sports PS Kirimi Kaberia and Sports Kenya Chairman Fred Muteti listen in at the Moi International Sports Centre Kasarani on October 12, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluMeanwhile, Ruto also said that the remainder of the Sh25mn budget presented by the Football Kenya Federation (FKF) for the double header against Ethiopia as well as arrears from the previous game against Ghana, has already been availed.Meanwhile, the country’s second in command has said moving forward, the Sports Fund will be fully operational to ensure that sports federations are well catered for and do not always have to sprawl their begging balls asking for help.“For a very long time we haven’t had a clear funding mechanism for sports but I want to tell you the good news; the government has committed a special fund to ensure all sportsmen and women have requisite infrastructure and financial support,” he said.The DP added; “In the next month or so the new fund will kick in and we expect to raise resources every year directly going to sports and you will be beneficiaries of that endeavor.”Stars were faced with a financial hiccup before travelling to Ethiopia and had to wait until the eve of their journey to get Sh7.2mn from the government. Previously from a submitted budget of Sh25mn, the Federation had only managed to get Sh4mn.Deputy President William Ruto chats with Harambee Stars head coach Sebastien Migne at the Moi International Sports Centre Kasarani on October 12, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluThe deficit of about Sh14mn has been sent to the federation to ensure the debts accrued from the Ghana match have been settled and facilitation for this weekend’s tie against Ethiopia is also taken care of. 0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more