PLAQUE TO REMEMBER HISTORIC LETTERKENNY TO BURTONPORT RAILWAY LINE UNVEILED

first_imgThe plaque remembering the Letterkenny to Burtonport railway line.A plaque commemorating one of Donegal’s most historic railway lines and the tragic deaths of four people on it has been erected in Letterkenny.The Station House in Letterkenny received its new historical plaque from Letterkenny Community Heritage Group and marks the starting point of the old Letterkenny to Burtonport line.The memorial shows the train on the Owencarrow viaduct near Creeslough. The train came of the viaduct on the 30th of January 1925 when hit by a gale killing four passengers and badly injuring five others.The plaque is one of a number recently erected by the group which has been attracting great interest from locals and visitors to the town.They will form part of a historical walk that will be launched later in the year.Chairperson Gabriel Flood said they had erected a number of the plaques to be in time for the Letterkenny Reunion recently so returning emigrants,local people and visitors to the town can enjoy this added attraction. Among the key spots where the plaques have been erected are Tinneys House on the Port Rd where the McKinney family first made their Oatfield sweets back in 1927,The Market Square,the original spot near Speers Lane where the Hiring Fairs took place, the plaque is on the Quiet Moment wall.Sentry Hill where a sign was erected on the old boys school which will add to the existing Penal Moument and the history of the area.The A.O.H. Devlin Hall and Institute on Lower Main St and one on the Station House that dates the three Bridges at Oldtown.The Courthouse and R.I.C barracks,Old Workhouse and at the entrance to Sprackburn where the Royal Artillery Garrison were based.The group intend to add more plaques which were designed by local man Barry Mackey at other locations later in the year.Cllrs Dessie Shiels and Jimmy Kavanagh have supported the group with this adventure which will be of huge benefit to everyone with a local interest in the towns heritage.PLAQUE TO REMEMBER HISTORIC LETTERKENNY TO BURTONPORT RAILWAY LINE UNVEILED was last modified: August 31st, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:burtonportletterkennyrailway linelast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *