Barnes and team-mate Michael Conlan were singled out for random testing after training on Monday and the 27-year-old double Olympic bronze medallist was kept up until two o’clock in the morning by doping officials. Barnes told Press Association Sport: “They pulled me at eight o’clock when I was still in my sweat gear and dehydrated and they had me sitting for about an hour. “For me it is all about defending my title. “I drew with the world number one (Zou Shiming) in the semi-finals in London and that proved to me that on my day I can beat anyone.” Northern Ireland’s general team manager Alison Moffitt said the timing of the drugs tests caused “discomfort” for the athletes concerned. Moffitt said: “Team NI is fully supportive of the anti-doping programme and all athletes and support staff fully adhered to the requirements of the procedures. “Unfortunately the timing of a recent request caused discomfort for a number of athletes who had just finished training and were in a state of dehydration as they make weight for competition which starts in a few days’ time. “All personnel performed their roles efficiently and within the published guidelines.” Conlan was able to fulfil his own drugs testing requirements and return to the athletes’ village shortly after 11pm. He said: “Paddy is one of the grumpiest people you’ll ever meet when he is woken up early in the morning. “Usually it’s hilarious to see his face at moments like that but I had to feel sorry for him this morning.” Conlan went into his first Commonwealth Games in Delhi four years ago as a top-level novice but is now very much the man to beat in the 56kg division. He won bantamweight bronze at the London 2012 Olympics and followed it with a European silver medal last year. Conlan said: “I think I’ve grown massively since Delhi – I was only a boy and I was the youngest and least experienced on the team. “Now I’m one of the most experienced and I’m very confident coming into these Games. I feel the expectation but it pushes me on and I’m very confident I’m going to go out and do the job.” Northern Ireland boxer Paddy Barnes has branded Commonwealth Games drug test timings a “disgrace” and insisted the procedure could have put his participation in Glasgow in doubt. “I could have got cold or sick but they didn’t care – they just cared about getting urine. “In the end they decided they would let me go and get changed but they kept me until two o’clock when they gave me two towels and told me I had to go to sleep on a physio bed. “Eventually they voided the test and I could go back to my room but at half past seven this morning it happened again after four and a half hours’ sleep. “It’s a disgrace. The timing of the test was terrible – to do it two days before the competition, I’ve never heard such a thing in my life.” Barnes has a reputation as a combustible character in the sport having famously derided the Olympic bronze medal he won in Beijing in the wake of a one-sided semi-final defeat. But the Belfast boxer maintained he would be able to put the drug-test issue aside as he focuses on retaining the Commonwealth light-flyweight title he claimed in Delhi in 2010. Barnes added: “If you’re angry it affects your performance and it doesn’t let you focus properly. “This my third Commonwealth Games and since I made my debut in Melbourne eight years ago I have won medals all over the world and I have trained and fought properly. Press Association
CHELMSFORD, England (CMC) – Kemar Roach’s impressive five-wicket haul and Roston Chase’s second half-century, highlighted the final day of West Indies’ drawn three-day first class game against English County Essex here yesterday.Right-armer Roach added two wickets to his overnight tally to end with five for 43 as Essex rallied to declare their first innings on 185 for nine at the County Ground.Paul Walter, at number seven, held the hosts’ innings together with an unbeaten 68 after it tottered at 56 for six in the morning session.Batting a second time, the Windies quickly found themselves in trouble at 30 for three after Walter struck twice with his left-arm seam to leave the innings in strife.But the right-handed Chase carved out his second half-century of the contest with an unbeaten 50 while Shai Hope struck 46, as West Indies ended on 135 for four.Walter (2-14) and 20-year-old seamer Callum Taylor (2-20) both finished with two wickets apiece.Resuming the day on 47 for four after the last two sessions of Wednesday’s second day were washed out, West Indies struck in the fifth over of the day when captain and fast bowler Jason Holder removed Taylor for 13 with the score on 52, caught low down at third third slip by Kyle Hope.Three overs later, left-hander Nick Browne followed in similar fashion, nicking Roach to Hope at third slip, after failing to add to his overnight 16 in the 24 additional deliveries faced.However, Walter and Aron Nijjar, who made 30, propped up the innings in a 50-run, seventh-wicket stand. Walter struck nine fours and a six off 139 deliveries while Nijjar counted six fours in a breezy 37-ball innings.Pacer Miguel Cummins, who ended with two for 43, broke the stand when he had Nijjar caught at slip by Kieran Powell and Roach claimed his five-wicket haul when he had Aaron Beard playing on for 10.On 138 for eight at lunch, Essex fared well afterwards as Walter and Matt Dixon put on a defiant 53 for the ninth wicket to hold up the Windies march.Walter returned to haunt the Caribbean side with the ball again, claiming Kraigg Brathwaite caught at the wicket for two in the second over before bowling Kyle Hope first ball without scoring in his next over.When Powell was taken at the wicket off Taylor for 27 off 26 balls, the Windies were slumping badly but Chase and Shai Hope put on an attractive 82 for the fourth wicket to restore order.Chase faced 80 balls and struck eight fours and a six while Hope’s innings consumed 59 deliveries and included nine fours.West Indies face Kent on Sunday in their second three-day tour match.