Tottenham defender Federico Fazio 1 West Brom are close to signing Federico Fazio from Tottenham after the defender arrived at the club for a medical.The Argentine is undergoing tests and will talk terms the Baggies having travelled to the training ground on Friday.Tony Pulis is confident the transfer will be completed in time for the 28-year-old to don the Baggies shirt to face Chelsea in the Premier League on Sunday.“The lad is here and having a medical and we’re hoping to get it done,” the manager told a press conference.“He’s a very good defender coming from a top club in Tottenham and the boy wants to play regular football.“He wants to show that he can not only compete but do well in the Premier League and I think that ambition, drive and desire is what you need in your club.“He’s been a top player for Sevilla and I think he will be a top signing for the club.”Pulis also denied the deal is linked with Tottenham’s pursuit of Saido Berahino after the Baggies rejected Spurs’ bid for the striker this week.He added: “That deal has nothing to do with Saido’s position at the football club. We want Saido to stay. You never say never but we want him to stay. It would be in his best interests.”Fazio signed a four-year contract at Tottenham last summer after joining from Sevilla, where he won the Europa League in 2014.He made 31 appearances for Spurs last season but is yet to play this term after the signing of Toby Alderweireld.Fazio’s imminent arrival casts doubt over the future of Joleon Lescott at The Hawthorns, with Pulis refusing to offer guarantees over his future.
Mesut Ozil 1 Arsenal’s hopes of qualifying for the last-16 of the Champions League took a huge blow after they lost 3-2 at home to Olympiacos on Tuesday night.Arsene Wenger’s decision to play David Ospina ahead of Petr Cech backfired, as the back-up goalkeeper made a huge error.Check out all the goals from a disastrous night for the Gunners…
1 Marouane Fellaini Marouane Fellaini insists Manchester United’s players believe in Louis van Gaal’s philosophy and can win the title this season.The already intense scrutiny at Old Trafford ratcheted up a notch this week when United bowed out of the Champions League at the group-stage juncture.Compounding the ignominy of leading United in the Europa League is the criticism Van Gaal has faced from his own supporters for a string of uninspiring displays.Van Gaal’s side were held to their sixth goalless draw of the season by West Ham at the weekend, but Fellaini says he retains the full backing of the United squad.“We trust him,” the Belgium international told NBC Sports.“He is the manager, it is his philosophy and we have to continue like that.“I am sure the goals will come and the chances as well.”Furthermore, Fellaini believes United can win this season’s Premier League under Van Gaal.“Yes, of course (we can win the title),” he said.“At the moment we are in the top four, we are there. It is a tough month but we have to continue like this.“We know as Manchester United the expectation from us is high.“Now we are focused, we know what we are doing. So, we will see but we are there.”
Jose Mourinho’s agent has denied a deal has been struck for his client to replace Louis van Gaal as Manchester United manager.Mourinho, who was sacked by Chelsea last week, has been linked with the position at Old Trafford after United dropped out of the top four and crashed out of the Champions League at the group stage.But Mourinho’s agent Jorge Mendes, speaking to Globoesporte, insisted there had been no approach from United for his client’s services.“There is nothing,” Mendes said when asked about reports the former Chelsea manager had agreed to take over at Old Trafford.“We don’t know what will happen in the future, but now there is no agreement. There isn’t an official proposal either, that’s not true.”Mourinho is understood to be spending the week in Portugal with his family, but he is looking for a quick return to management and with Van Gaal’s United floundering, the 52-year-old could realise his dream of taking over at Old Trafford if the club’s board decides to dispense with the current manager.Some fans clearly want that to happen.Cries of Mourinho’s name could be heard around Old Trafford on Saturday when United slumped to a 2-1 defeat to Norwich.United were booed off the pitch following their third straight defeat, which left them in fifth position.Three weeks ago, senior United figures insisted Van Gaal had the board’s full support, but after a run of six matches without a win, they have now fallen quiet.It is understood the United board were disappointed in particular at Van Gaal’s failure to lead the team through what was viewed as a relatively easy Champions League group containing PSV Eindhoven, CSKA Moscow and Wolfbsurg.And a second straight defeat in the league last weekend meant United will head into the busy Christmas schedule outside the top four.Although United could stomach another year out of the Champions League in a financial sense, the damage to the club’s standing in the game would be hit if they were not in Europe’s top club competition next season.And with Mourinho available and willing to take the job, there has been a flood of speculation linking the two-time Champions League winner with United.United will also be aware Pep Guardiola is available in the summer, although he is rumoured to be ready to move to Manchester City instead following his stint with Bayern Munich.On Wednesday, Van Gaal will take questions on his future for the first time since Mourinho was sacked.The Dutchman is due to conduct his weekly press conference at the AON Training Complex in Carrington at 3:30pm.United travel to Stoke on Boxing Day before hosting Chelsea on December 28.Speaking after the loss to Norwich, Van Gaal insisted he had the backing of executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and his own players.”Ed was very fast out of the dressing room but I feel that support, yes,” the 64-year-old said.”The most important support is from the players because the players have to do it on the pitch and the chemistry between the players and the manager and his staff is very important.” Jose Mourinho is odds on to pip Ryan Giggs to the job 1
1 Bayern Munich and Chelsea have joined Arsenal in the race for Inter Milan midfielder Marcelo Brozovic.The Croatian is currently on loan at the San Siro from Dinamo Zagreb but his move will be made permanent in the summer.And when it does, Inter are ready to instantly cash in on the 23-year-old in a bid to help the club’s financial situation.Arsenal had been seen as frontrunners for Brozovic and an offer of around £15m was set to be made by the Gunners.But, according to Tuttosport, Bayern and Chelsea have now joined the battle for the central midfielder.As a result, Inter are preparing to bump up Brozovic’s price tag to around £20m, in an attempt to see who really wants to land the Croatian international this summer. Marcelo Brozovic in action for Inter Milan
SUN VALLEY – Waste Management Inc. has reached a deal with the union representing its 470 drivers, the company announced today. The five-year contract was ratified this morning by the workers, said Kit Cole, a spokeswoman for Waste Management. It’s the same deal that the workers rejected before going on strike Oct. 19, she said. “I think from the outset we felt that this was a very, very strong offer, and that it was so strong we were willing to stand by it despite the strike,” Cole said. A representative from Teamsters Local 396, the union representing the workers, could not be reached for comment. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.During the strike, workers picketed at company facilities in Sun Valley, Compton and Long Beach. From the outset of the strike, the company brought in its own temporary drivers from other parts of the country. Last week, it started advertising for permanent drivers to replace the strikers. The new contract covers drivers, mechanics and bin shop workers. The new deal gives workers a 22.5 percent wage increase over five years, according to the company. The union reported that under the old contract, its workers made up to $17.80 an hour. Waste Management hauls trash for about 12,000 customers in the city of Los Angeles. Most of those customers are businesses, but some are large apartment complexes. The city has its own workers haul residential trash. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
“I don’t ever classify anything as close or far until it is either done or not done, and it’s not done,” Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said. Colletti did say he is considering other candidates for the position. What he didn’t say, but didn’t have to, is that he won’t need any other candidates if a deal can be reached with Torre, which is all but a foregone conclusion and could be announced today. Camille Johnston, the Dodgers senior vice president for communications, confirmed that Dodgers owner Frank McCourt requested that Commissioner Bud Selig exempt the club from his longstanding edict that minority candidates must be interviewed for high-profile positions. Selig’s approval, according to a New York Times report, was based on two factors: that the Dodgers already have enough high-ranking minorities in their front office to put them at the forefront of the industry when it comes to diversity; and that it is so obvious Torre is the club’s choice as manager that to interview minority candidates just to satisfy Selig’s mandate would be a waste of those candidates’ time. While that leaves absolutely no doubt that Torre is the Dodgers’ choice to become their manager, it remains anyone’s guess as to when he will become their manager. BASEBALL: Colletti, would-be manager check fine points of three-year, $12 million contract. By Tony Jackson Staff Writer Another day passed Wednesday without the Dodgers naming Joe Torre their next manager. But while it isn’t immediately clear exactly what the delay is, it is apparent that negotiations have moved beyond the basic terms of what is expected to be a three-year contract worth about $12 million and have been narrowed to what is essentially fine print. “There are too many moving pieces for us to stick a timetable on (the managerial search),” Colletti said. “If things move fast, we could get some things taken care of in the next day or two. Or, it could be a longer process than that, I don’t know. It will be as quick and thorough as possible.” Translation: Either Torre takes the job, in which case the matter will be settled quickly, or he doesn’t, in which case the club will embark on a full-on search for its next manager that has already begun with Colletti making initial inquiries into potential candidates. “We are talking about a number of people, and we are (eliminating) names and adding names,” Colletti said. “It may be a very short list.” Maury Gostfrand, Torre’s New York-based agent, didn’t return a message left on his cell phone. But all indications are the final hurdle is the coaching staff and whether the Dodgers are willing to pay Torre’s coaches what he and they consider to be fair market value. Over the last two seasons, Manager Grady Little’s staff was believed to have been one of the lowest-paid in baseball. Torre’s coaches with the New York Yankees, at least some of whom are expected to follow him to the Dodgers, are believed to be among the highest paid, if not the highest paid, in the game, their salaries exceeding those of some big league managers. Case in point, in October 2000, when then-Yankees third base coach Willie Randolph briefly appeared to be the front-runner for Cincinnati’s managerial vacancy, Randolph reportedly was willing to take what was sure to be a salary cut to accept what would have been his first chance to manage in the majors. But when Randolph found out just how much of a salary cut he was facing (reportedly about 40 percent), he withdrew from consideration. Torre is likely to be joined by Yankees bench coach Don Mattingly and third base coach Larry Bowa. Other possibilities, according to various published reports, are Jose Cardenal and Lee Mazzilli, both former Torre coaches in New York. Bowa and Mazzilli are former big league managers. “Whoever the manager is, (the coaches) will (be chosen) under the same guidelines (as before),” Colletti said. “There will have to be a comfort level on his part and on my part as to who the staff is. The manager shouldn’t be saddled with anybody I force upon him, nor should the organization be saddled with anybody they don’t have full trust in.” email@example.comWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsThe injuries occurred during the filming of a scene for “You Don’t Mess with The Zohan,” said a spokesman for Columbia TriStar Motion Picture Group, which is distributing the movie. “Our thoughts right now are with the stuntmen and their families and we hope that each recovers swiftly from their injuries,” Steve Elzer said in a statement. Sandler visited the hospital Monday evening to check on the stuntmen, KCAL-TV reported. Two stuntmen suffered burns during an accident on the set of Adam Sandler’s latest comedy, officials said Monday. One person was burned on the hands and legs and another on the back during filming on the Universal Studios back lot, said Los Angeles County Fire Inspector Sam Padilla. Both victims, whose identities were not released, were taken to a hospital, he said. One was listed in serious but stable condition, and the other in stable condition at Grossman Burn Center in Sherman Oaks, said hospital spokeswoman Debbie Groveman. No fire was reported, and officials were investigating what caused the injuries, Padilla said.
11 11 12. John Obi Mikel (centre midfield) 11 11 20. Matt Miazga (centre back) 17. Pedro (right wing) 11 11 Saturday evening’s Premier League clash between Chelsea and Manchester City is live on talkSPORT from 17:30 BST.With nothing to play for the Blues’ season is effectively over, but they could still have a key role in deciding the top four.City, currently fourth, need to pick up three points with Manchester United and West Ham United not too far behind. But a rejuventated Chelsea side will be out to cause upset, hoping to bounce back from their defeat to Swansea City.So, will make some changes after that loss? Will Diego Costa, returning from suspension, start?Take a look at talkSPORT’s predicted Chelsea line up by viewing the slideshow above. 13. Thibaut Courtois (goalkeeper) 2. Branislav Ivanovic (right back) – see the full line up, in squad number order, by clicking the arrow above 36. Ruben Loftus-Cheek (attacking midfield) 28. Cesar Azpilicueta (right back) 11 11 11 22. Willian (left wing) 19. Diego Costa (striker) 11 11 6. Abdul Baba Rahman (left back) 4. Cesc Fabregas (centre midfield)
Hull City return to the Premier League for the 2016/17 season having beaten Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 in the Championship play-off final at Wembley Stadium.The Tigers were dominant in the first half, as the Owls struggled with the occasion, but it was a frustrating 45 minutes for manager Steve Bruce as his side failed to take their chances.It took a wonder-strike from Mohamed Diamé in the second period to seal the victory and book his side’s place alongside Middlesbrough and Burnley in the top flight.WATCH Mo Diame’s stunning promotion-winning goal here!Hull were the side to settle the quicker, taking control of proceedings at Wembley as they looked to test the Owls’ nerves early on.Former Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Tom Huddlestone was the first to try his luck on goal, with his effort stinging the hands of Keiren Westwood.This was a preview of what was to come for the Tigers, with chance after chance created – but missed.Abel Hernandez, a club record £10m signing last summer, had a header cleared off the line mid-way through the first half. The Uruguayan nodded Robert Snodgrass’ corner towards the far corner only for Kieran Lee to block his effort and deny Michael Dawson on the follow-up.Wednesday were fortunate not to have conceded a penalty, as replays showed the ball had striked Lee’s hand. Carlos Carvalhal’s side almost rubbed in their luck moments later. Dawson lost the ball on the edge of his box and Fernando Forestieri pounced on the defender’s error. The forward, however, lacked composure, firing his effort wide.Hull, though, remained in control, forcing Westwood into a number of fine saves. And Diamé, with 40 minutes on the clock, almost gave his side the lead close to half time. After beating three of the Owls’ defenders, the 28-year-old unleashed a powerful strike, but his effort canoned off the post and out for a goal kick.With so many chances missed, Bruce’s frustration on the sideline continued to grow. Despite their dominance, the goalless scoreline left all to be played for after the break.It was more of the same as the second half got under way.The Tigers weren’t struggling for possession or chances, but were failing to make it count.An effort from close-range fired over the bar by full-back Andrew Robertson summed up the afternoon for Bruce’s side – so far – at Wembley.But this was soon forgotten. Diamé, who came close at the end of the first half, found himself with space 25 yards from goal and expertly sent the ball over the outstretched hand of Westwood to make it 1-0 to Hull in the 72nd minute.With the goal advantage, the Tigers began to dictate the play with confidence and it looked game over for the Owls, even with plenty of time remaining to draw level.With 10 minutes left to stage a comeback, Wednesday looked void of ideas as their dream of returning to the Premier League began to fade.Tiredness started to show and Hull City were able to seal an ultimately comfortable victory and hand manager Bruce a record fourth promotion to England’s top flight. 1 Mohamed Diamé celebrates after scoring the only goal to seal promotion to the Premier League for the Tigers